So What's Your Super Special Name?
I hate the words “employee” and “staff.” They’re dry and implies and emotional disconnection between people and their jobs. At Falak we call employees “Team Members”. It might sound really corny, trite even, but it works. And we go further than that. Our Team Members are called Falakonians. I got the idea from Zappos.com, where they call their staff Zapponians. At Chili’s, employees are called Chilli Heads.
In one of his audio programmes, human development expert Anthony Robbins says that human beings have 6 needs. They are:
1. Certainty: assurance you can avoid pain and gain pleasure
2. Uncertainty/Variety: the need for the unknown, change, new stimuli
3. Significance: feeling unique, important, special or needed
4. Connection/Love: a strong feeling of closeness or union with someone or something
5. Growth: an expansion of capacity, capability or understanding
6. Contribution: a sense of service and focus on helping, giving to and supporting others
Why should your Team Members only be able to get these needs fulfilled outside of work? Of course there is a lot more to it than just a unique name, but it's a big step in the right direction.
You can give your employees a stronger sense of connection if they feel that they are part of an exclusive club. In one of my Team meetings someone was saying how challenging a task was, and my response was “hey, we’re Falakonians! We can do this!” Again, I know it sounds really corny, and you probably consider yourself way too professional to do this, but trust me it works. And it’s lots of fun too! They’ll love you for it!